- This event has passed.
Route des Grandes Alpes
September 1 @ 08:00 - September 9 @ 17:00
No ride is more inspirational than the classic Route des Grandes Alpes from Lake Geneva to the shores of the Mediterranean. Starting in the lovely lakeside town of Thonon-les-Bains and finishing under the famous lemon trees near the beach in Menton, the route takes in most of the greatest climbs in the Alps. Doing the trip over 7 days makes it achievable for any reasonably fit cyclist with some experience of the mountains.
The Alpine Cols advantage
You will be accompanied on the bike in very small groups by highly experienced, qualified coaches. Not only will they guide you (of course) but also they will help you improve your cycling technique along the way, sharing tips on climbing, pacing, descending, nutrition, recovery and all the myriad skills that cycling in the mountains requires.
Luggage transfers, on-the-road support, pick-ups if required… everything is included so that all you need to do is ride.
|Date||Route||Climbs||Distance & vertical|
|Sat Sept 1||Arrival day: short check-out ride||–||–|
|Sun Sept 2||Day 1: Thonon-les-Bains to La Clusaz||Col du Feu
Col de la Colombière
|88km / 2,490m+|
|Mon Sept 3||Day 2: La Clusaz to Bourg St Maurice||Col des Aravis
Col des Saisies
Cormet de Roselend
|88km / 2,560m+|
|Tue Sept 4||Day 3: Bourg St Maurice to St Michel de Maurienne
||Col de l’Iseran||121km / 2,700m+|
|Wed Sept 5||Day 4: St Michel de Maurienne to Serre Chevalier
||Col du Télégraphe
Col du Galibier
|65km / 2,100m+|
|Thu Sept 6||Day 5: Serre Chevalier to Jausiers||Col d’Izoard
Col de Vars
|96km / 2,780m+|
|Fri Sept 7||Day 6: Jausiers to Valberg
||Col de la Cayolle
|Sat Sept 8||Day 7: Valberg to Menton||Col de St Martin
Col de Turini
Col de Castillon
|136km / 2,835m+|
|Sun Sept 9||Departure day||675km / 17,750m|
Logistics & Accommodation
- Arrival in Geneva on Sat 1 Sept.
- Departure from Nice on Sun 9 Sept.
Hotels are the best available in each location, varying from 2* to 4*. We like to eat well ourselves and you can be sure that the food will be excellent!
The Route des Grandes Alpes tour package includes:
- Pick-up from Geneva airport, transfer to Thonon-les-Bains
- Help with setting up your bike
- Eight nights in 3* or 4* hotels (the best available)
- All meals, including unlimited soft drinks, wine or beer during the meal
- On-the-road support vehicle with free energy drinks, gels, bars and snacks, spare wheels and space to offload extra clothes and other kit.
- Mechanical assistance throughout your stay
- More than guiding: on-the-bike coaching (maximum group size 5 cyclists per coach)
- Alpine Cols Elite cycling jersey
- A full set of photographs taken during the week
- Transfer from Menton to Nice airport
The Route des Grandes Alpes tour package does not include:
- Bicycle hire.
- Minibar and drinks at the hotel bar.
- Sports massage at the end of the day.
- Travel from where you live to and from Geneva and Nice airports.