The Haute Route
Alpine Cols is the official coaching and training partner to the Haute Route: the highest and toughest cyclosportives in the world. Three of these epic races are held each year, lasting seven days each across the Dolomites, the Alps and the Pyrenees. In each case the route is about 900 km long and includes 20,000 m of vertical climbing – 2.5 times the height of Everest.
Even the professionals do not generally ride seven mountain stages in a row! One of the riders summed up the feelings of many:
This was physically and mentally the hardest thing I have ever done…
Expect to be pushed to your limits, and perhaps beyond. If ever there was an event that justified getting support from a coach, this is it!
So how can Alpine Cols help you?
- Train better: come to the Haute Route at the peak of your form, with the skills to excel
- Race better: with our support, achieve a higher place during the event itself
Train better: before the event
- Read Coach’s Corner for our state-of-the-art advice on training and performance.
- Plan to join the Haute Route Training Camp, or one of our regular week-long or weekend training camps. These are the ideal opportunity to get in a heavy block of training and to develop your skills climbing and descending the long Alpine climbs.
- Engage an Alpine Cols coach for a personal training plan that is fully adapted to your needs.
Race better: during the event
- The Directeur Sportif package is the foundation of our Race Services. It provides you with the extra level of support routinely enjoyed by the professionals in competition.
- The Super-domestique is an Alpine Cols coach cycling by your side, actively helping you perform at your best throughout the race.
- The Recovery Massage/Physiotherapy package is a guaranteed 30 minute session at pre-arranged times each evening, from a specialised, fully-qualified sports physiotherapist.
Download a full description of how we can support you for the Haute Route, with coaching, training camps and Race Services.
Please note that we can only support a very limited number of people with these packages, so they are offered on a first-come, first-served basis. For further information, please contact us.
In order to focus fully on the cycling, Alpine Cols does not get involved in the accommodation and logistics. If you are looking for something other than the organiser’s own packages, we recommend Two Wheel Tours. They have been taking people to the Haute Route since the first edition and always get great feedback for the quality of their service. Be quick though, they sell out a year in advance!
Haute Route video
Watch the official video of the Haute Route (warning: you may be hooked!)