Cycling holidays in the Alps – what to expect
Our First-Timers Week is specially designed for peoplewho are competent, intermediate cyclists but have no experience in the mountains. If you always dreamed of riding up an iconic Tour de France climb, but never through you would dare, this is the week for you!
It doesn’t have to be all about cycling and there are also plenty of other activities to take advantage of the wonderful scenery, culture and gastronomy that the Alps has to offer. First-time visitors will be stunned by the beauty of the region and the wide range of things to do.
The Alps are truly a wonderful playground and make a great alternative to roasting on a beach during your summer vacation.
Alpine Cols were second to none in their approach to the training camp. We went on a beginner’s week, and could not have had a better time. Marvin and Emmanuelle could not do enough for everyone. Friendly, knowledgable, they went out of their way to make sure everyone had the training that they needed. They allowed each individual to set their level, giving advice where necessary. Stephane is a fantastic coach, non judgmental, happy to help everyone, whatever their level of cycling. The hotel was perfect, amazing food, excellent staff, comfortable beds and great views. I left having achieved far more than I expected, keen to put what I had learnt on the Alps into practice at home. (Lucy, Tonbridge Wells)
Cycling in the Alps can be a daunting prospect!
Our expert coaches have been guiding first-timers on cycling holidays in the Alps for many years, so we know how you feel. We will only take you on routes that we believe you can achieve, and there is always a following car, so anybody who has mechanical problems or who gets too tired can just hop in the car. For those that want to do more, our coaches are always happy to extend the day’s ride with you.
During our Level I First-timers week, we will help you with everything you need to learn to be at ease cycling in the Alps, including:
- climbing and descending techniques,
- pedaling smoothly and economically,
- gear selection,
- the right cadence to use and
- how to manage your effort on a long climb.
We plan for you to ride every day, but this is certainly not compulsory!
There are many more options to consider – check out our Family Activities page for alternatives.
Our goal is to make this the most memorable vacation you ever have, so if you have a special request, just contact us and we’ll do everything we can to meet it.
La Clusaz is the best place we know for cycling in the heart of the Alps. There is a choice of five different directions leading out of the village, so there is no need to take the same road twice! Some go up, some go down…, and we are not far from the beautiful lakes of Annecy and le Bourget, which allow you to cycle on the flat with the Alps in full view.
Dates and Prices
Check out the Dates and Prices page for the latest dates.
The Special First-Timers Week Package Includes:
- Pick-up from Geneva airport, transfer to La Clusaz and return.
- Six nights in the hotel with free Wi-Fi, access to the swimming pool and spa (sauna, hammam and Jacuzzi)
- All meals, including unlimited soft drinks, wine or beer during the meal
- On-the-bike coach (maximum group size 8 cyclists, usually less)
- On-the-road support vehicle with free energy drinks and snacks, spare wheels and space to offload extra clothes and other kit.
- Mechanical assistance throughout your stay
- Alpine Cols Elite cycling jersey
- Coach’s Corner evening sessions on cycling technique
- A full set of high-res photographs taken during the week
The First-Timers Week Package Does Not Include:
- Bicycle hire, power meter hire or high-performance wheel hire.
- Minibar, extras and drinks at the bar
- Transport from where you live to and from Geneva airport.